The $3,000 PEN Translation Prize invites submissions of book-length translations from any language into English published during the current calendar year.
Past winners: Archibald Colquhoun, Ralph Manheim, Joseph Barnes, Geoffrey Skelton and Adrian Mitchell, Harriet de Onis, Vladimir Markov and Merrill Sparks, W.S. Merwin, Sidney Alexander, Max Hayward, Clara and Richard Winston, J.P. McCullough, Hardie St. Martin and Leonard Mades, Helen R. Lane, Richard Howard, Gregory Rabassa, Adrienne Foulke, Charles Wright, Charles Simic, John E. Woods, Hiroaki sato and Burton Watson, Richard Wilbur, William Weaver, Helen R. Lane, Seamus Heaney, Barbara Bray, Dennis Tedlock, John E. Woods, Madeline Levine and Francine Prose, Matthew Ward, Richard Pevear and Larissa Volokhonsky, David Rosenberg, Thomas Hoisington, Bill Zavatsky and Zack Rogow, Burton Watson, Stanislaw Baranczak and Clare Cavanagh, Arnold Pomerans, Peter Constantine, Michael Hofmann, Richard Sieberth, Tiina Nunnally, R.W. Flint, Margaret Sayers Peden, Tim Wilkinson, Philip Gabriel, Sandra Smith, Margaret Jull Costa, Natasha Wimmer, Michael Henry Heim, Ibrahim Muhawi, Bill Johnston, Donald O. White, Joanne Turnbull and Nikolai Formozov, and Eliza Griswold.
Eligibility and Submissions for the 2016 Awards
Submissions will be accepted June 1, 2015 through August 15, 2015.
- PEN will only accept submissions from publishers or literary agents.
- Authors may not submit their own book for this award.
- Eligible titles must be original book-length literary and translations published between January 1, 2015, and December 31, 2015, by a U.S. trade publisher.
- Poetry is not accepted; to submit a work of poetry in translation, please see the PEN Award for Poetry in Translation.
- Self-published books and reprints are not eligible.
- Retranslations are not eligble, unless the work can be said to provide a significant revision of the original translation.
- Although all eligible books must have been published in the United States, translators may be of any nationality; U.S. residency or citizenship is not required.
- There are no restrictions on the subject matter of translated works, although eligible titles should be of a literary character; technical, scientific, or bibliographical translations will not be considered.
- Books with more than two translators are not eligible.
If you submit a book for this award, you may not submit it for any additional PEN American Center awards. Please note that the PEN/Faulkner and PEN/Hemmingway Awards are not considered PEN American Center awards.
How to apply